• RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • CTH

Sunday, June 29, 2014


Something has been bugging me lately and it is this silly little idea that has existed much longer than I have been alive.
Comfort.

Practically everyone is working towards comfort, but nobody is achieving this goal.  What I mean is that we have made living a completely comfortable life so complicated that nobody will ever really obtain such an existence.  

I have said it before, but everyone who reads pretty much anything online looks at the text from a viewpoint of them being the exception to whatever the subject matter may be.  How about not doing that for a minute and putting yourself on the plane of statistics where you are right on level with the other ninety-nine percent of the world?  Let's be honest, you are most likely not the exception.

People have told me that their goal in life isn't to be comfortable, but they look forward to the day they can leave their lackluster job and be a full-time retiree.  Well, then there is your contradiction - you are working for comfort.  Then there are those who say they are building up a retirement income but have no intention of actually retiring on-time, but are striving to build even more wealth to further their comfort later in life.  They work and work for a venture that usually does not leave a real mark on the world, but instead furthers the effort of someone else's business.  Sure, when you die, you may leave behind a pile of money, but cemeteries are full of people who made the same piles of money in their lifetime and have since been forgotten.

Now, before you go after me for saying I contradict myself for the past blogs I have written about chasing your passions - don't, we're not there right now.  Chasing a goal and having a passion in life is probably the most awesome thing a person can do and I fully support anyone who follows that level of fulfillment.  The problem is that the more time we spend filling our lives with the assumption that "one day" we will be carefree and comfortable enough to live an easy life, the more complicated we make every single moment instead of embracing those moments.  Again, put yourself on level with the majority and ask if you are really running down your passions or just falling in line in the pursuit of comfort.

I just like openness, personally, and that is where this entire blog comes from.  I'm not talking about personal privacy and being an open book, because that isn't for everyone.  What I am talking about is the ability to do something uncomfortable and run with it instead of falling in line with mediocrity to preserve your comfort and stay in that silly little bubble of yours.  

The truth is, the more comfortable you are with everything, the more opportunities you miss in life.  Those who step outside of what makes them comfortable are also the same people who thrive and live the most interesting and fulfilled lives as a whole.  

A popular topic currently is this idea of a missed opportunity.  
We miss opportunities or miss the ability to create our own opportunities when we are too focused on being comfortable or striving for comfort as our ultimate goal.  I really think we should all strive for being uncomfortable because that is what makes us interesting, lets us build upon new ideas and inspirations, and allows us to spend time chasing what really matters and can cause us to leave behind an incredible legacy.

The people who work normal hours and all they look forward to is being away from work so they can light up a joint or drink copious amounts of wine to escape where they have been?
What have they actually done and what will they be remembered for contributing to anything when all they are doing is trying to escape where they spend most of their time?
Their time spent running could be better spent pursuing.
If you're going to run from something, you may as well chase something else in the process, right?

You see, for a few solid years, I was that person when it came to alcohol.  I came home everyday and used drinking as my escape from working hard for someone else's gain.  Getting away from both my chemical crutch and comfortable job has left me on-edge and pretty uncomfortable for the past three years.  In that time, however, I have figured out who I am in a way that my prior vises would not have ever allowed of me.  I'm really uncomfortable, but I am the happiest I have been since I was on top of the world in my late teens.
I only wish I had figured this out much sooner.

Never miss an opportunity because speaking up or making a move caused you to be uncomfortable - you may miss the most pivotal moment of your life.

Be anything you want, but don't be ordinary. 

Grace and Peace,
-Drew

0 comments:

Post a Comment